Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Monarch Mama

Daddy found a chrysalis in the back of his truck this week.  We cared for it and this morning it "hatched" eclose is the actual word.  Unfortunately our little friend was unable to get her wings unfurled before they dried.   This means that she will never fly.  Sadly there is nothing that can be done.  She will not make it.  I agonized over the reality of this all afternoon.  After much soul searching I decided to withhold that information from my sweet  girl.  I want her to keep her sense of wonder and magic a little longer.  There is time to learn about the harsh realities of nature later

We found a nice spot in a butterfly garden near her school to release our baby.  We told her that she would be with her family and friends and that she might see her flying around tomorrow.  I hope our little beauty meets a safe and peaceful passing.  I hope I never have to break the spell.




2 comments:

Melissa said...

Just wanted to tell you that I am in love with your art!

~Moonbeams~
Melissa

Sarah said...

Lovely. The way you let readers into your world through this blog is almost as moving as your artwork, and that is saying something. Beautiful!